[GSBN] fire tests with unplastered bales

asbn at baubiologie.at asbn at baubiologie.at
Sun Jun 17 13:33:29 UTC 2018

Dear Rene

No, we never did a test for an unplastered wall in Austria.

According to www.researchgate.net/publication/316463900_Fire_Resistance_of_the_Straw_Bale_Walls Nr.6:
Two small scale ASTM E-119 fire tests were conducted in 1993 at the SHB Agra lab in
Sandia,  New  Mexico,  USA.  The  plastered  faces  straw  bales  wall  was  resisting  the
transmission of flame and  heat for  two hours.  The other  un-plastered straw bales  wall
withstood the heat and flames of the furnace for 30 minutes before flames penetrated a
joint between bales.

(PDF) Fire Resistance of the Straw Bale Walls. Available from: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/316463900_Fire_Resistance_of_the_Straw_Bale_Walls [accessed Jun 17 2018].

If I remember right, an non official test was made also by Steen Moeller in Denmark with unplastered bales.

Liebe Grüße / kind regards
Herbert Gruber
asbn – austrian straw bale network
www.baubiologie.at