[GSBN] Fire case studies

August Hasz hasz at reginc.com
Fri Jun 1 21:18:23 UTC 2018

My bale house burned while in construction. All bales up, windows just set, a tarp around the house due to approach bad weather— perfect recipe for a fast fire. The general contractor was cleaning straw up from the trimming going on as windows were set. Inexplicably he used a halogen construction light on a 6” stand. The cord got pushed by the broom, pulled the light into a pile of loose straw…. 7 minutes to total structural collapse.

In typical fashion many in the area wanted to point to the fact that it was a bale house. In reality this was a really bad use of halogen light and a silly accident. The bales themselves did not really burn (60 dump trucks of debris to haul away… ugh), but the unflustered fine straws protruding out did provide a rapid means to spread the fire to the floor and roof systems.

Not sure that really helps, but there is my ‘case study.’

August

August Hasz, P.E., LEED AP
President + Principal Engineer
REG