[GSBN] Future uses of straw

Chris Magwood chris at endeavourcentre.org
Thu May 24 12:49:06 UTC 2018

Hi all,

To follow up on the theme of "straw innovations" I think we could learn
something from JustBiofibre http://justbiofiber.ca/ in Alberta, Canada.
They are making a hempcrete block, which in itself is not that
revolutionary. But, they've developed an inner-Lego system made from
hemp resin and fiber to provide both the structure (yes, no framing
required!) and an easy dry-fit assembly.

In addition, they are carbon-curing the blocks using the CO2 emissions
from their natural gas co-generation (heat and power) unit, and also
using the water from the emissions for mixing the blocks.

They are appropriate for plaster finish inside and out, or screw
strapping for a rain screen into the resin columns.

Elegant, natural, resourceful... and proof of the room we have to
innovate to make straw a viable building option.

Chris

--
Chris Magwood
Director, Endeavour Centre