[GSBN] Strawcell wall

Dusty Sylvanson dusty at strawandtimber.com
Mon May 14 20:17:40 UTC 2018

Hi Doug,

We’re approaching our 5th Straw Cell building. I’m happy to share my experience and learning. Best to call me

Both Dodson Harper and Jeff Rupert know the systems I’ve been using. Jacob Racusin planted the seed of the original idea in my head during a discussion at the 2012 ISBC and has thought it out in amazing ways

Straw Cell is using a conventional Framed wall with 2x4’s or 2x6’s (24” O.C.) and stacking Bales to the inside of the framed wall. The Wall cavity get’s Dense packed blown Cellulose against the bales.

The Exterior of the wall is Sheathed ( with skip sheathing, homosote, CDX , definitely not osb and pay attention to your Interior vs exterior Vapor Perms). Then a WRB, Strapping and Siding.

This works well for us in the mountain climate where we only have a 60 day frost free window.

Wishing you all well!

Dusty Sylvanson

Straw & Timber Craftsmen INC

115 S. Colorado ST