[GSBN] Wall Detail

David Arkin, AIA david at arkintilt.com
Mon May 14 16:42:10 UTC 2018

Hello Doug:

We completed a recent project using a ‘Hybrid Wall System’, employing typical 2x6 studs at 24” on center with plywood sheathing (note - plywood, not OSB - but in a non-seismic zone wood fiberboard or similar may suffice), and then installed the bales as insulation on-end between the studs, using clay plaster on the interior and a typical weather-barrier and cladding finish on the exterior.  Attached is an illustration of the system, and here are links to the workshop and the finished building, a 34,000 mixed use office and warehouse in Eugene, Oregon.

http://www.arkintilt.com/ata-helps-host-casba-hybrid-straw-bale-workshop-our-mahonia-building-eugene-oregon <http://www.arkintilt.com/ata-helps-host-casba-hybrid-straw-bale-workshop-our-mahonia-building-eugene-oregon>

http://www.arkintilt.com/salvaged-materials-mahonia <http://www.arkintilt.com/salvaged-materials-mahonia>

Also attached is a picture of the wall under construction.  We used 3-string rye bales and held them tight to the plywood with 4” wide strips of 1/2” plywood, and 12” Timber-Hex screws into the studs (we'll use 14” screws next time - easier to find the studs, and a better connection).

I also have the WUFI analysis our building efficiency consultant ran for various locations - they can run a weather file specific to Wilmington if you wish. LMK.

This is not quite a ‘StrawCell’ as it doesn’t feature cellulose, but it could be appropriate to Delaware.

Looks like a great project,

David / ATA & CASBA

> On May 14, 2018, at 8:47 AM, Chris Magwood <chris at endeavourcentre.org> wrote:
>
> Hi Doug,
>
> Here's a detail from our last straw-cell project. Hope it's helpful to you. You can contact me off list if you want to discuss it.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Chris
>
> On 2018-05-14 11:03 AM, douglas nichols wrote:
>> Hello All
>>
>> I'm consulting with a non-profit (http://www.yinnovations.org/ <http://www.yinnovations.org/>) to  build an affordable straw home for a low income family.  Their current engineering was provided by someone unfamiliar with straw bale building and is coming up pretty short of being a low carbon, sustainable, or natural design.  So we are moving to a straw cell design to help ease any engineering and building official concerns about the straw bale part.  My question is-- does anyone have a good straw cell wall detail drawing they can point me to or donate to the effort?
>>
>> Y Innovations, Inc. <http://www.yinnovations.org/>
>> www.yinnovations.org <http://www.yinnovations.org/>
>> 2903 North Jefferson Street 2903 North Jefferson Street is a 4500 square foot vacant lot in the city of Wilmington, where Y Innovations will be completing a 630 square foot naturally-built straw bale home in 2018.
>> Thanks
>>
>> Doug Nichols
>>
>> Creating Energy Efficient Homes Since 1995
>>
>> Nichols Contracting LLC
>> 821 S. 400 E.
>> Moab, Utah 84532
>> Cell #970.683.1517
>> Lic. #9508518-5501
>>
>> Principal / Qualifying Builder
>> Community Rebuilds Moab -- http://www.communityrebuilds.org/ <http://www.communityrebuilds.org/>

> --
> Chris Magwood
> Director, Endeavour Centre
> www.endeavourcentre.org <http://www.endeavourcentre.org/><Screen Shot 2018-05-14 at 11.29.45 AM.png>_______________________________________________

*  *  *  *  *
Arkin Tilt Architects
Ecological Planning & Design
1101 8th St. #180, Berkeley, CA  94710
510/528-9830 ext. 2#
www.arkintilt.com

David Arkin, AIA, Architect
LEED Accredited Professional
CA #C22459/NV #5030

Director, California Straw Building Association
www.strawbuilding.org
CASBA is a project of the Tides Center

"There is no way to peace. Peace is the way."
— A. J. Muste