[GSBN] Astonishing Soil (was re: Creative, open minded soil engineer in California)

Art Ludwig-Oasis Design oasis at oasisdesign.net
Sun May 6 06:52:14 UTC 2018

Dear RWT—

Thanks for your creative suggestions and on-point observations.

The perfect soil in question is under Santa Barbara’s downtown grid, zoned for multi-unit residential, and though we paid less for it than anyone else, still cost $118/ ft2 (not per ft2 of house, per ft2 of dirt). So—not likely to turn to farms anytime soon.

BUT—we plan to turn to agroforestry. We estimate that we can produce 1500-2000 lbs/ yr of fruit on the lot…from dense perennial edible landscaping surrounding the five cob cottages. (It currently produces 500 lbs of citrus from two rock star trees; the fully planted landscape will have around forty trees of 20 or so varieties for staggered, all-year food production.

The foundation waterproofing has a secondary function of pumping bulk oxygen into the soil profile all the way down to about 9’, enabling the trees on the site to grow without irrigation apart from stormwater augmented groundwater. The arborist on the project is the crazy genius who just finished the new apple campus; he and I figured this out together. I think it is entirely possible this site will have greater production capacity with the cottages on it than without, because of the way the foundations provide the oxygen needed for them to easily get water.

Peace,

Art

I’ll post the next revision of the proposal, which describes how all this works together. Meanwhile here’s a screenshot of one page from an earlier draft: