[GSBN] using loose straw insulation in roof

John Swearingen jswearingen at skillful-means.com
Fri Oct 27 13:57:36 UTC 2017

Quite a long time ago we built a house using bales for roof insulation,
with site built trusses.The biggest consideration about the insulation
value came with the numerous large gaps between bales and trusses that
needed to be filled. The building was near a major farmland highway with
large trucks passing a few yards away, and the bales did an excellent job
of dampening the low frequency noise of the trucks. I would consider them
again is a similar situation, but not for insulation; the cost and
difficulty of doing a good job is too great, and other good alternatives
are available.

This year we have again been up close and personal with fire, this time
dealing with melting levels of heat, generating tornado winds in
concentrations of timber buildings feeding off of each other. We have four
projects that came within yards of the worst fires, but none of them were
touched by flames, so we don't have any forensic information to offer.  The
closest endorsement we've had came from firefighters who came to defend our
house and we showed them our strawbale cabin with a grassy green roof.
They immediately freaked, then looked, pondered, said "no problem" and
moved on to check out the wood structures.  Nothing like thick plaster and
few inches of wet dirt to slow down a hot fire.

Since we're designing a home in the same fire-prone region of Napa, we've
been looking at the weak links that would make a good plastered house
vulnerable. In an intense fire, assuming the plaster and roof are good, the
weak link is heat transfer (and breakage) through windows igniting the
interior, and we're thinking of mounding sprinklers on the exterior within
the window cavity, primarily for cooling. We've done this in urban
situations when a building has been inside the required setback in lieu of
a one-hour fire wall This would be a slightly different use from preventing
the spread of fire--primarily to cool the glazing area long enough for a
hot wildfire to pass. When firemen show up before and advancing fire, they
do a lot of wetting. We've installed large garden sprinklers on our roofs
in the forest, and the firemen are big fans of those. Water is their only
friend.

Any thoughts on this?

John "I'm All Wet" Swearingen