[GSBN] Bayside Strawbale Hurricane Damage strategy

Derek Roff derek at unm.edu
Thu Sep 28 22:58:24 UTC 2017

It seems like we had a discussion right here on GSBN a decade or more ago, about how one might dry bales while they are still in the wall.  It might be worth a search of the archives.  I don’t think we had a breakthrough idea, but here are a couple of things I remember.  It’s hard to move air through tight bales, but dry air moving through whatever spaces might exist could help a lot in reducing the moisture levels quickly, to below the mold-growing limit.  Blowing hot, dry air has the advantage that hot air can accept more moisture than cold air.  Since the site is probably near optimum mold-growth temperature this time of year, getting hotter air moving through, between, and around the bales might impede slightly the rate of mold growth.  If temperatures were lower, such as during the winter, using hot, dry air might raise the temps in the bales, promoting good mold growth.  In that case, cold dry air, such as from compressed air tanks (or compressed CO2 or nitrogen) could help keep the bales cooler, while pulling out a lot of moisture.

All this is probably impractical, if a large number of bales is involved.  Blowing a lot of air across the surface of the plaster with fans might help some, and wouldn’t be very expensive.  If possible, I would set up the fans both inside and out.  It would be nice if the fans were blowing dry air, but that may be hard to arrange in Houston.  Ambient air is still likely to pull some moisture out of the plaster, and secondarily the bales.

If you do have to replace bales from the outside, post again.  I bet this group will have some interesting ideas, including adding a layer of cellulose insulation between the interior plaster and the new bales.

Derek

Derek Roff
derek at unm.edu<mailto:derek at unm.edu>