[GSBN] Straw bale building in tropical areas

Martin Hammer mfhammer at pacbell.net
Wed Jul 12 05:20:21 UTC 2017

Hi Noé (and Bob and all),

I wanted to respond to the first email on the subject, but knew it would
take time to answer properly. Now that my name has been called out . . .

Andy Mueller (on this list) and I and others (incl. Tina Therrien, also on
this list) built the first SB building in Haiti in 2010-11.

We had the same question about building with straw in Haiti that you have
about Benin. Haiti¹s tropical climate includes periods of heavy rain,
including hurricanes, and moderate to high humidity.

To answer the question, we installed 29 moisture sensors in the walls in our
Haiti SB building. Readings over its first three years showed good
performance. Some readings, just before plaster, were over 20%, but over the
first 2-1/2 years almost all readings stabilized between 8-14%. (I¹ve
attached a table of readings from 2010-2013.) Some readings where the bales
are in contact with the gravel bag stem wall, including ones I took at end
of 2013, rose above 20%, but I feel this is a matter of detailing, not
climate.

The building also withstood hurricane Matthew in 2016 with only minor repair
needed in an exposed area of plaster at its gable end. However moisture
readings have not been taken since then, and it took a hard but not direct
hit from the powerful hurricane. More about the ³Ti Kay Pay² (small straw
house in Kreyol) can be seen at http://builderswithoutborders.org/ . A
second SB building was constructed in Haiti in 2014 by an Italian
organization but I don¹t have information about its performance.

There are other examples of SB buildings in places of high rainfall and/or
humidity worth looking at.

Sri Lanka: The first SB building in Sri Lanka was constructed in 2005. I¹ve
attached a technical paper, Performance of Straw Bale Houses in Tropical
Climatic Condition, though it is more about its thermal performance than
moisture issues. Here is a link to an article on the handsome building:
http://www.thearchitect.lk/2009/10/a-house-of-straw-2/   Piyal Ganepoal was
the project manager. You might be able to obtain information about the
moisture performance of the building from him via Facebook or Linked-In.

Bali: American architect Jeni Kardinal (copied here) designed and oversaw
the construction (with husband Frank Hyde) of the first SB building in Bali
(Indonesia) in 2014. You can read about and see this beautiful building (and
its beautiful compression mould !) in a Last Straw article at
http://thelaststraw.org/straw-bale-in-bali/ . I¹m not sure how it has
performed regarding moisture, though when I saw Jeni at the 2016 ISBC in New
Zealand I think she indicated so far there were no problems. Maybe she can
offer more if she reads this.

Nepal: Our BWB team plans to build the first straw bale building in Nepal in
October (actually the second if a very temporary building by others is
counted). Nepal has a monsoon season and moderate to high humidity. We have
full confidence straw bale building is suitable in Nepal¹s climate (which
varies considerably with elevation) with normal care, given all I have
stated above.

I¹ve attached humidity data for the above countries (including Benin) that
is useful to compare. Sri Lanka has the highest average annual average
humidity (79.8%) of these countries, and Bali and and Nepal have the highest
single monthly average (85%). You might want to obtain and compare average
rainfall data also.

I¹ll add that SB buildings have existed for many years in the rainy (winter)
northwest U.S., and humid (summer) climates in the northeast and southeast
U.S. that have performed well, including the famous Burritt Mansion in
Alabama, built in 1938.

The bottom line for me is that high rainfall and high humidity by themselves
will not cause a straw bale building to fail due to moisture. Good
design/detailing, good construction, and reasonable maintenance are what
allow all SB buildings to endure, maybe even indefinitely.  However, if
water enters a wall due to failure of one or more of the three good
practices I just mentioned, a SB building in a climate with high rainfall
and/or high humidity will be at greater risk of damage or failure.

Best regards.

Martin Hammer

Martin Hammer, Architect
Co-director