[GSBN] Load-bearing straw bale idea

Rikki Nitzkin rikkinitzkin at gmail.com
Sun Jun 25 11:30:05 UTC 2017

Hi Derek and David et all,

FYI.  I can say that it worked. At least in my case.

My house was built 15 years ago, with a gable roof supported by posts at the gable ends, and covered with planks and ceramic tiles. My house is a 1 1/2 story load-bearing design. And the post for the gable roof rests on the roof plate of the first story. The roof plate was not a box beam, but a made “ladder” style with double 5 x 15 planks ( 10x 30 once all nailed together).

I should add that the main beam is not very large, just 10 x 15 x 600 , since it only spans 5 meters (between posts)+ overhang.

It worked fine. No problems of any kind.

The spanish architect who made the design doesn’t speak english, so he didn’t know he was breaking any rules; and it was my first house, so I had no experience. That is the way technology advances. Pushing the limits… sometimes without knowing you have done so. I guess I got lucky. When I show my house to students, I always tell them that I did “this and that” wrong! But the truth is, my house is just fine- despite all the mistakes.

From what I hear on the list, no one has tried the approach suggested by the architect, but all think it is a bad idea. I will pass on the opinions to the architect. If he decides to do it anyway, I will let you all know the results.

Thanks!

Rikki