[GSBN] Official tests for fire resistance rating of mud bricks

Graeme North graeme at ecodesign.co.nz
Sun May 7 22:40:33 UTC 2017

Hi everybody

We all know that mud bricks do not burn but are there in fact any offical (Laboratory or Government sponsered ) fire resistance ratings test that have been done anywhere?
I do not seem to have one at hand.
I have some recall of one were the bricks were deemed to have failed the test because of a bit of minor early smoke generation from small amounts of straw on the surface that flashed off, ignoring that the brick was then fine after that.

I’ve got a sharp-eyed fire installer and building inspector to satisfy about safe distances of a wood burner from an adobe wall where we do not want to install heat shields.

Ah the joys of building in an increasingly weird world.

Cheers

Graeme
Graeme North Architects
49 Matthew Road