[GSBN] URGENT! Drying moisture out of SB walls

Martin Hammer mfhammer at pacbell.net
Fri Apr 7 11:34:28 UTC 2017

Hello again,

Good point by Feile (hi Feile) about the battens for the rain screen. They
need to be vertical (to allow unimpeded vertical ventilation) which then
means horizontal lap siding, if boards are used for the cladding. The
horizontal orientation for the siding is also better than vertical for
shedding rain (if lapped, or T&G with the tongue up).

I agree with Feile about the smell. Until we’re able to transmit smells via
the internet I’ll say that the words “smelled something awful” is a clear
indication that somewhere in the vicinity there’s rotting straw (unless I
suppose there’s dead rodent?).

One other comment is I was impressed by the report and descriptions by the
CASBA member. Very thorough and articulate.

One last comment, as prompted by Feile. Upward driving rain?! Wow.

Martin