[GSBN] Maximum Density for straw insulation

Rikki Nitzkin rikkinitzkin at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 10:10:46 UTC 2016

Hi everyone,

Recently returned from our national gathering, I have a question about thermal transmission testing….

There was a debate going on at our event about what is the “best” density for a bale, referring to insulation (not structural) is.

Some people were under the impression that “the denser the better” and others that an “overly” dense bale will insulate less, as the fibers of straw would be crushed and retain less air - therefore insulating less.

Has anyone tested this? Is there data anywhere on what the Maximum or Minimum Density would be for best insulation?

thanks, Rikki

Rikki Nitzkin
Strawbale Building and Clay Plaster:
education, consulting, and building