[GSBN] Bullet Resistance of Straw Bale Walls

David Arkin, AIA david at arkintilt.com
Tue Aug 16 18:46:06 UTC 2016

Hi Darcey:

I suggest you ask Jon Hammond or Bruce Playle at Indigo in Davis, CA.  They've done a number of police stations up and down the central valley, albeit wrapping block buildings with straw bales, but they may have some knowledge to impart.  http://www.indigoarch.com/contact/   Your next best bet would Greg McMillan (no further explanation needed).

David / CASBA

On Aug 16, 2016, at 11:15 AM, "Darcey Donovan" <darcey at paksbab.org> wrote:

> Hello friends,
>
> Are there any tests out there regarding the bullet resistance of straw bale walls? It is a concern in Pakistan, and I've received an inquiry about it and if cement plaster would increase it.
>
> Our bales are 13" thick and we use earthen plasters, lime-stabilized earthen plasters and lime plasters.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Darcey
>
> Darcey Messner Donovan, P.E.
> Pakistan Straw Bale and Appropriate Building (PAKSBAB)
> +1-530-902-5516 Ph
> darcey at paksbab.org
> www.paksbab.org

*  *  *  *  *
Arkin Tilt Architects
Ecological Planning & Design

Please Support my 2016 Climate Ride (bicycling 350+ miles in the Pacific Northwest, August 4-10, with a fundraising goal of $5,000 to support Straw-Bale outreach)
http://support.climateride.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=donordrive.participant&participantID=4244
Thank you!

David Arkin, AIA, Architect
LEED Accredited Professional
CA #C22459/NV #5030

1101 8th St. #180, Berkeley, CA  94710
510/528-9830 ext. 2#
www.arkintilt.com

"There is no way to peace. Peace is the way."
— A. J. Muste