[GSBN] insulation vaue of straw bales

David Eisenberg strawnet at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 07:33:31 UTC 2016

Hi Bruce and all,

Regarding that old ORNL thermal testing, I would guess that Nehemiah Stone
would be the most likely person to have the actual test results. I tried to
get them from Jeff Christian and others at ORNL a couple of years after the
testing was done. I was also trying to get them to complete the work they
had said they were going to do, which was analyze the results from the
testing following achieving a steady state thermal flux. At that point they
varied the external temperature to model weather patterns in several US
cities to get an effective calculated R-value that would take into account
the insulation and mass properties of the wall. They did that for other
wall systems they tested, but never performed the calculations for the
strawbale wall assembly even though they did the actual thermal testing. I
was never able to get either the original test results or more information
than the scant amount in various paper summarizing the whole wall thermal
testing facility and their rotatable guarded hot box test apparatus.

The paper that Nehemiah wrote, that is on the EBNet website describes the
testing but isn't the ORNL report. Hopefully Nehemiah will chime in on this.

David Eisenberg