[GSBN] Prefab hoe-down

Rene Dalmeijer rene.dalmeijer at hetnet.nl
Thu Feb 25 17:21:26 UTC 2016

Chris,

As you might know I am a strong advocate of pre-fab. To me pre-fab is the way to make sustainable building competitive with conventional building. An important effect of pre-fab is that it forces you to do much more detail engineering before hand. This saves a huge amount of cost during the building phase.

Recently I ran into a project that was originally envisaged as a pre-fab straw bale project. The main contractor involved, Strabag needed an affordable alternative to the chosen source of the prefab SB elements, they turned out to be far too expensive. I offered to look into the project to see if I could come up with a building method and structure that would fit the available budget. My first choice was pre-fab but I rapidly ruled this out due to the constraints of the project.

The main problem was that the SB wall sections are roughly 7.5m high. To make manageable SB elements the walls were split into 3 vertical sections in the design. The architect wanted continuos earth plaster from floor to ceiling. The approach with 3 separate stacked pre-fab elements would create a risk for cracking at the horizontal seams between the elements. Due to this the pre-fab elements would require a complicated interface structure to allow tolerances but at the same time movement free connections to the surrounding main structure. Basically there would be to many wood members involved. I decided that it would be much easier to frame it out on-site. Utilizing pre-cut TJI posts and design in such a way that a minimum of custom bales were required. I hope to find some time to write an article giving more details about the onsite straw bale build which came in 35% under budget.

What this project taught me is that some times pre-fab off site is not the cheapest solution.

Besides this I definitely prefer on site owner built SB. Its simply much more fun and gives time to think about options while you build. It might not be the cheapest method but it gives a much more enjoyable experience.

Rene Dalmeijer Proces Advies
Thomas Hoodstraat 2
1086 WE Amsterdam

06 48955419