[GSBN] Low-cost Strawbale

David Arkin, AIA david at arkintilt.com
Tue Feb 23 16:30:31 UTC 2016

John, All:

The goal of low-cost strawbale is an important one, and while custom residential has fueled its popularity, a good number of us on this list have participated in targeting affordable systems and simple designs that can help fill the housing need.  And as you note, your firm, Bob Theis and other CASBA members are generously making home plans available to fire victims, at least some of whom have the means and are choosing to rebuild with straw bale.

Especially in light of the need for highly efficient, low initial embodied carbon building systems—plus here in CA where we have a zero net energy mandate in the year 2020—straw bale in any affordable form offers one of the best solutions out there.

However, this low-cost conversation must acknowledge another reality unrelated to building technology:  growing income inequality.  Currently on this planet the 62 richest persons hold the same amount of money as the lower 3.5 Billion persons.  Not all, but many people worldwide used to be able to afford a home, or be able to build one on a piece of land at little or no cost.  As we face the need to build better (safer, tighter, insulated and efficient) homes, the costs are going up at the same time that people's ability to pay for them is going down.

We need both-and change.  Lower-cost homes and increased income equality leading to renewed buying power.  Political leadership that acknowledges and addresses it proactively along with a universal move toward the common good is the only path I see to the latter.

Thanks for bringing this topic to the GSBN, and it'd be great if you would organize and lead a panel on Low-Cost Strawbale at the CASBA Conference in April.  In addition to Chris Magwood I know that Bill Steen, Bruce Hammond, Anthony Dente and others have interest in achieving more affordable wall systems.

David 'Feeling the Bern' Arkin

On Feb 23, 2016, at 8:01 AM, John Swearingen <jswearingen at skillful-means.com> wrote:

> @Chris, we've looked and thought a lot about horizontal plastering, and originally designed a system like yours for volunteers on a chapel (yet to happen).  For us in California, where the earth does not stay still, that approach has some disadvantages.
>
> First, there are a lot of seams between panels to deal with, and we have been able to use a wrap of good mesh around our buildings to distribute seismic loads. Baskets don't break, and continuous mesh solves a lot of problems with connections, as well as possible water intrusion.
>
> Second, there are commercial considerations.  With an option to build off-site, the panels can be built while the foundation is being laid, saving construction time and allowing careful fabrication, in a shop, of all the elements--walls, windows, doors, everything. When panels are kept small, they can be handled without machinery. If the panels are plastered in the shop, they can't be moved much without a crane, so a relatively expensive element is introduced twice--at the shop, and again at the site. Keeping small also allows moving panels with small trucks with access to difficult sites. This is what Upside Down John Glasford does, probably because he's lazy and a cheapskate, both admirable qualities in a builder.
>
> The self-build community is relatively small.  There are also old folks, lazy rich folks, busy folks, and impatient folks who want housing; most people, just want their house as quickly and painlessly as they can get it. Weighing commercial production, using plaster sub-contractors, against the cost savings for self-build or unskilled labor we tilt toward the commercial. Plastering is relatively cheap in California, and quick and efficient to schedule. In addition, continuous plaster, without apparent seams (interior or out), preserves the adobe/bale/old-world aesthetic that often leads people to strawbale.
>
> So that's the balance that seems appropriate for our conditions. It would be great if you and Upside-Down John could both come to California to hash this out at the conference!
>
> John "Anti-crane Brain" Swearingen
>

> On Tue, Feb 23, 2016 at 4:52 AM Chris Magwood <chris at endeavourcentre.org> wrote:
> Hi John, and others trying to respond to this housing need,
>
> I would be glad to show any builders trying to work on behalf of this rebuilding effort how we have been using tip-up panels built on site to dramatically reduce construction time and cost.

> [...]

*  *  *  *  *
Arkin Tilt Architects
Ecological Planning & Design
1101 8th St. #180, Berkeley, CA  94710
510/528-9830 ext. 2#
www.arkintilt.com

David Arkin, AIA, Architect
LEED Accredited Professional
CA #C22459/NV #5030

Director, California Straw Building Association
www.strawbuilding.org
CASBA is a project of the Tides Center

"There is no way to peace. Peace is the way."
— A. J. Muste