[GSBN] Low-cost Strawbale

Chris Magwood chris at endeavourcentre.org
Tue Feb 23 12:51:55 UTC 2016

Hi John, and others trying to respond to this housing need,

I would be glad to show any builders trying to work on behalf of this
rebuilding effort how we have been using tip-up panels built on site to
dramatically reduce construction time and cost.

I know I've been harping on about prefab for a long time now, and I've
been honestly surprised at the lack of uptake/interest in general. But
we really do have our costs down to $6-8 per square foot of wall at a
good labor rate. And unlike bale raisings where people can help but
often end up hindering, this is a process that can be taught and learned
very quickly and where the quality of wall built by a beginner can be
the same as that of a pro. The beauty of this system is that the walls
are plastered lying flat, so that the amount of labor time is
dramatically reduced and the panels are finish-ready as soon as they
have been stood up.

I don't know what the timing is like for these projects, but I am
willing to be at the CASBA meeting in April, and if there is interest
I'd gladly demonstrate this tip-up system so that it can be shared with
those in need.

Sincerely,

Chris

On 16-02-22 10:59 PM, John Swearingen wrote:

> This weekend Jenna Yu and I, attended the Rebuild Expo, a building
> expo geared toward people who had lost their homes in the Valley
> Fire--1200 homes burned in less than a day.The area is not wealthy.
>
> It was definitely a good place for us to be. Saturday morning began
> with a long, long line of registered people who lost their homes and
> who were given early access to the event.  Usually at these sorts of
> events there are people toying with building their own house, or
> remodeling their kitchen. This was different-- a mass of people
> desperately trying to figure out how to put themselves in housing once
> again.  They're highly motivated. Many, probably most, face serious
> obstacles--insurance settlements (if they had insurance) and property
> values, but also things like county requirements to bring
> infrastructure up to code (water, septic, electrical)--many people had
> older buildings with grandfathered systems. Our table was next to the
> County's, so we overheard a lot of discussions.  The County is doing
> its best, and will stretch regulations whenever they can for people's
> benefit, but....
>
> Jenna & I, representing Skillful Means, were the ones there identified
> with straw, so I think we got most of the questions. There was a lot
> of interest. Perhaps "longing" is a better word, because people want
> to choose a natural home but are on limited means. We introduced
> strawbale to the many people who had little familiarity with it, and
> were pleased at how open they were to new ideas. And there was a LOT
> of interest from everyone in the possibilities of low-cost
> construction and the panel system we're developing (with help from
> "upside down" John). They really want to be able to afford it, and not
> be condemned to buy a toxic manufactured box.
>
> We're offering free house plans of  completed projects, and most
> people felt they couldn't afford what we normally design. Folks have
> been hammered with every conceivable building method--promising very
> low bottom lines--but definitely were interested in something natural
> and healthy, and were excited that it was being presented to them. We
> need to do more outreach to these communities. They are working hard
> to sort out their futures, and the future of their communities.
>
> There's also a number of people who have heard of strawbale and
> dismissed it, but they're often happy to tell us about it; "rodents!!
> they're everywhere!".  I'm always happy to chat with them.
>
> Strawbale has been fueled and financed in California by the well-off,
> and that's allowed us to learn a lot about how to design with straw.
> The folks this weekend don't have a lot of money to spend on housing,
> and having the opportunity to work with people who fled from the woods
> with only the shirts on their backs, was personally very satisfying.
>
> The thousands of people of modest means who are now homeless can
> [...]

Chris Magwood
Director, Endeavour Centre
www.endeavourcentre.org