[GSBN] a new nomination / some new SB research

Jim Carfrae jim.carfrae at plymouth.ac.uk
Mon Aug 25 07:27:42 UTC 2014

Hello All, and Enga

I would support Ebga as a member, as there is still useful research to be done.
My own PhD was on the moisture performance of straw bale construction, but the focus was on the effects of building in a temperate maritime climate. I have also spent the last year monitoring effects of the construction phase on the moisture in straw – this is an area which I think would merit further study, I was surprised how much moisture was introduced by the plastering of the walls.
Any setup that can replicate and compare different forms of straw wall construction with controlled changes in environmental conditions would be a researcher's dream!

Regards

Jim

Dr Jim Carfrae
Environmental Building Group
Room 302 Roland Levinsky Building
School of Architecture, Design and the Environment
Plymouth University
Drake Circus PL4 8AA
UK
07880551922