[GSBN] quoining: anyone doing it on SB construction?

Bill Christensen lists at sustainablesources.com
Sat Aug 23 18:17:10 UTC 2014

On 8/23/14 12:38 PM, Rikki Nitzkin wrote:
> On my house I screwed old ceramic tiles directly to the clay plaster
> (with 10-12cm wood screws). they have been there 12 years no problems.
I like that idea, and it looks pretty good.  Those are roofing tiles,
right?  I think you may be on to something.

Bob, I agree that AAC block probably wouldn't work very well.

Gayle Borst (gayle at stewardshiparchitecture.com who I've been trying to
convince to get on GSBN for years) wrote:

It seems like I did see quoins on a natural building somewhere, but I
don't know what type. Doesn't seem practical on straw bale, due to the
weight of the stones and the potential for differential settling. And
you wouldn't want the quoins to go all the way through, as they would be
a thermal short circuit.
Would think quoins would work well with CEBs. Maybe cob...if there are
corners.
Otherwise, foundation plantings to keep hazards away from the corners.
gb