[GSBN] missing cob link--sorry

Graeme North graeme at ecodesign.co.nz
Tue Jul 22 05:23:44 UTC 2014

Thanks for this link on failed cob.

tis the reason I insist on good roof overhangs for earth - and straw - buildings

We have just had an extended period of incredibly high winds along with very heavy rains - enough to test the stoutest plaster system that does not also have the benefit of good rain deflection built in to the design.

I now tell my clients they have several choices in site exposed to wind driven rain.  They can either put the roof out horizontally, or they can put it down vertically - or else they build out of something else.
If they put on a rain screen cladding - a type of vertical roof - then they do not need much in the way of roof overhangs at all.

Cheers

Graeme
Graeme North Architects
49 Matthew Road