[GSBN] Straw bale at high altitudes (and snow against bale walls)

Ian Redfern ian at adobesouth.co.nz
Sat Jul 12 06:37:42 UTC 2014

Good evening Misha and All,

Here are a few comments from a moist, humid and wet climate where we have
had a week (7 days and nights) of cyclone force rain  [70 to 100 mm (3" to
4") a night] and driving winds (100 + km/hr) ! ! ! !     Where  wide eaves
are my design norm with a LEAST width of 1200 mm (4 ft) and most of 1500 to
2000 (5 ft to 6' 6'')
 On a clients house where we built these 1500 (5') wide eaves the lime wash
on lime plaster (massaged well into the straw) has come through this well ­
the rain was driven to window head height (7') so these walls were well
washed !

The primary considerations are for rain to be deflected by the wide eaves,
contact rain  and washing water to drain freely away, and good air flow
(strong wind here) to facilitate drying  !  Re the question of snow melt ­ I
have no direct experience with straw walls however at 7000 ft in New Mexice
we relied on the step up from ground to floor to prevent this becoming a
problem with timber clapboard and framed houses ­ again the maxim on wide
eaves or verandahs proved their worth in reducing the snow bank against the
walls.

Where the eaves (drip line) is small and especially for 600 (2 ft) or less
we often specify a rain screen on a drainage/ventilating cavity (1/2
"minimum) to provide this primary deflection ­ my concern with this solution
is to ensure the cavity is maintained during the snow and subsequent thaw
cycle and is not filled with ice.

I challenge the "green architect" to substantiate the contention of least
eaves on the shady side of the dwelling ­ I recommend to clients and
wherever extend these to become wide verandahs or wider still for  breezeway
car ports (roofed over only) to shield the cold wall.

I am not sure this adds much to your discussion

Regards

Ian

  www.adobesouth.co.nz   Ian Redfern
 Adobe South