[GSBN] lime over hessien/ Cement Lime.

Ian Redfern ian at adobesouth.co.nz
Tue Apr 29 21:47:33 UTC 2014

Good morning Sven,Derek and All,

The use of cement is to have an early "go hard" element to the plaster for
speed of lay up only ­ there is a downside to using too much cement as
indicated by you Sven in so far as it "holds" free water in the matrix which
we can safely assume to induce rotting (as we see when timbers contact
concrete)  AND  a huge reduction in vapor permeability ALSO an increase in
water transport through the plaster  i.e. It is not desirable and literature
shows that a maximum is 1 : 3 : 9  cement : hydrated lime (lime putty is
preferred) : sands (clean sharp non pozolanic)  we used on the Canada
project  1 : 1: 9  plasterers lime (50% cement 50% lime powder) : hydrated
lime (fresh builders lime powder) : sharp sand  which worked well.  -  this
stuff ail still crack if laid up too wet and  allowed to drying to fast !

I mention pozolanic sands and soils as here in New Zealand with its active
geological belts we find great soils near volcanoes (parts of Northland)
and sands which are washed out flood plains from old volcanoes (Waikato and
surrounding plains)   where the sands naturally induce a "hydraulic"
reaction with the lime putty (i.e. They cure under water although rather
slower than portland cements)

In conclusion :
1)  I recommend  wrapping the building with a wind stop (as we see here
around Auckland) for leaky building remediation where the scaffolding is
enclosed in a vapor permeable and translucent plastic wrap and all work is
protected from  rain, wind, and cold temperatures  -  plasters do not
perform if subject to freeze  (10oC and below) which includes hyperthermic
consideration of cold and/or strong winds swirling around the building
2) use a lime putty and sands plaster ­ mix the sand sizes for greater bind
and strength (5 mm down)
Regards

ian

  www.adobesouth.co.nz   Ian Redfern