[GSBN] lime over hessien

Misha Rauchwerger misha.rauchwerger at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 16:01:45 UTC 2014

A number of the straw bale houses I have built have had a cob (clay
soil+sand+straw) scratch coat.  Some of them had a sprayed on clay slip to
the bales first, before the scratch coat.  Natural Hydraulic Lime is the
usual brown and finish coats for exterior plasters.  As Jacob and others
has said, the "key" seems to be adequate key in, with a good physical
connection by scratching.  But getting the moisture level just right in the
scratch coat seems to be the other critical piece, with multiple mist
passes to give adequate time for the water to absorb in without running on
the surface.  Not enough water makes getting good hydraulic suction very
difficult, and the plaster goes off really quickly, even with a two pass
application.  Too much water and the surface becomes mud which reduces bond
and mixes into the plaster as well.

I have attempted to put lime on both troweled earthen plasters or smoothed
cob walls, and the results are always variable.   Sometimes, I have applied
the lime wash as mentioned first, to provide an initial lime penetration
and bond, but if it is too heavy in lime, it seems to actually reduce the
moisture absorption into the base coat, and make getting suction more
difficult.  I have seen delamination when the base was too smooth.  An
application of Weldcrete or similar bonding product works wonders on smooth
surfaces, allowing NHL to stick to electrical cover plates, sheetrock, and
previously troweled surfaces.  I have seen a repair on a lime over cob
interior plaster that had delaminated in places.  The areas that were
obviously not adhered well were removed, but the remaining plaster got
re-plastered with a thicker than normal finish coat that seems to have
unified the whole well.

On cob ovens in the great outdoors, without cover, the transition from
earthen to lime or lime/cement plasters seems to be the most problematic,
where moisture seems to find a way behind the more impervious skin of lime
and into the cob behind it causing delamination.  If that is any indication
of what would happen to a wall system getting exposed to water, I would
agree with Graham North that first protecting the wall is best, but a rain
screen or other system would be in order.

With regards to Sarah's question, I agree with all the others about the use
of hessien (which I'm assuming is similar to burlap or even more open
weaves).  I have used a number of fabrics for various purposes, and while
they can be great to join dissimilar materials (like fiberglass tape at
corners between plastered straw wall and a sheetrock wall), they definitely
can create a barrier between the two coats.  I usually let it dry like the
base coat it is attached to before applying the brown coat.  I also agree
that when the fabric gets bigger than just strips, it can get really heavy
under the weight of itself, to all sorts of other problematic situations.
The one house that I worked on that had to be plastered under less that
ideal conditions, we attached 2x4s to the eaves and ran them to the ground
at a slope.  Horozontal 1x4s joined them, with tarps tensioned and attached
with cleats.  This was impervious to serious winds, and really worked well
to retain the humidity for plaster curing.

Misha Rauchwerger
www.builtinbliss.com