[GSBN] Termites[GSBN Digest, Vol 36, Issue 12]

Rob Tom ArchiLogic at yahoo.ca
Fri Apr 18 18:15:17 UTC 2014

On Fri, 18 Apr 2014 13:00:00 -0400, <gsbn-request at sustainablesources.com>
wrote:

> Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2014 20:30:53 -0700
> From: Misha Rauchwerger <misha.rauchwerger at gmail.com>
>
> I thought I'd debunk the idea that straw bale and cob homes are immune to
> termites.  As of yesterday, termites began erupting (literally little
> volcanoes) out of a wooden bench on a cob base in the cob house, and
> from a dead-man in the cob wall, and I'm finding them on the floor the
> straw bale house too.  There's something going on with their life-cycle
> for them to be  appearing at the same time in both places.

The above strikes me as being like saying:

"I thought I'd like to debunk the idea that a diet consisting of less meat
and more organically-grown fruit and vegetables is conducive to better
health and long life.

The other day, a Northern Californian Buddhist lay-preacher that I knew
walked into a Hell's Angels clubhouse, sought out the meanest-looking
muffo, sat on his lap and started serenading him with Boy George tunes
 from the 1980s.

The head of the trauma unit at the local hospital says that the NCBL-P has
a 10% chance of surviving past the end of the week."

If one took the "wooden bench on a cob base" and the "(timber) dead-man"
details ( read: "Conditions that are amenable to wood rot + provision of
direct, protected access to delectable food source for termites) and put
them into a house made with glass and steel walls in termite country, I'd
be willing to wager a large box of doughnuts that that home would also see
eruptions of termites at this time of year.

Best remedy to get rid of termites:  Get rid of the details mentioned
above and implement mechanical termite barrier strategies.

(This, from a person who lives in a climate where we do not (yet) have
termites thanks to our cold winters. But that may change in the very near
future .)

--
=== * ===
Rob Tom  .  .  .  T60BU

< A r c h i L o g i c  at  Y a h o o  dot  C a >
(manually winnow the chaff from the edress if you hit "reply")