[GSBN] lime plaster over compressed earth blocks

Bill Christensen lists at sustainablesources.com
Fri Apr 4 00:54:53 UTC 2014

Dang, I'm just catching up on my GSBN email tonight.  Sorry we missed
you! Alert me directly next time, will you?

Paul Salas out of UNM told me about potassium silcate at one point, and
gave me a quick demo as we passed through Santa Fe one time.  He was
looking into the same, and I believe he was trying to figure out if/how
it was chemically changing the soil.  It was definitely effective in
reducing water problems - he had a small adobe that had been treated and
another of the same soil which hadn't, and when he dropped them both in
water the untreated one came apart.  The treated one came out whole.

I suspect a brush-on application would help the plaster hang together as
a monolithic sheet.  It would also reduce water infiltration, I
believe.  Of course, it might also reduce outfiltration...  If it holds
water in the untreated interior, well, I don't need to spell out for you
what could result.  You're a smart guy.