[GSBN] lime plaster over compressed earth blocks

Derek Stearns Roff derek at unm.edu
Wed Mar 26 15:33:59 UTC 2014

Tell us more, Bruce.  How much of plaster is left on the wall, and does most of it seem to be sound?  Is he hoping to get advice on patching the holes, preventing the remaining plaster from delaminating, or perhaps removing the remaining plaster and prepping the surface, so that the future layer will be more reliable?  Is there any reason to suspect moisture intrusion into the wall as a cause for the delamination?  Has this been a progressive problem from the beginning, or did it pop up recently?

Frank Meyer lives in Austin, and has experience with local clays and lime plaster over clay and adobe, so his experience will be valuable.

Derek