[GSBN] Fwd: [nbne] SB fireblocking

Lance Kairl sabale at bigpond.com
Fri Mar 21 06:13:20 UTC 2014

Hi all,

Having repaired  a couple of strawbale homes after fires, I would agree with
most of, if not all the previous comments.

The spread of fire ( smouldering + combustion) thru the bale wall is along
the junctions of bales, and thru less dense ( stuffed ) sections of the
wall, initially.

Or out the top of the wall if no render or full width timber cap seals the
top of the wall in the ceiling space.( fire blocking ).

The thought of installing some form of fire blocking horizontally within the
wall may have some merit in multi story buildings, but not called for
normally.

Some form of vertical fire blocking at intervals along the wall,  may have
some merit, at window and door openings seems like an obvious location.

I feel many fire damaged homes would have suffered less damage ( from trying
to extinguish and from )the fire in the wall if wall sections were just that
sectioned

Into fire blocked compartments.

Yet again slightly off topic ....not at all assisting with the original
question,

But food for thought.

Cheers lance.