[GSBN] Data base of approved natural building codes

Graeme North graeme at ecodesign.co.nz
Wed Mar 12 21:10:18 UTC 2014

On 13/03/2014, at 2:15 AM, Andy Horn <andy at ecodesignarchitects.co.za> wrote:

> Hi all
> While this is not specifically about straw bale building, my question ultimately will relate back to getting a straw bale code along with other natural building codes established for the Southern part of Africa.
>
> I am trying to motivate our South African standards body to look at standards for earthen buildings at the moment, of which incredibly despite numerous earthen buildings (mostly informal or traditional), we don’t have any. As one might guess amongst other reasons the cement, steel and brick industries are still very much in control in this country.
>
> South Africa is part of a process amongst SADC - The Southern Africa Development Countries - to harmonize its various standards between its  trading partners.
>
> Zimbabwe have a rammed earth building code and this standard, after much effort, last April has been adopted though this “SADCSTAN” process for all member states. This was after 8 out of the 10 voting countries voted in favour of adopting the standard. So we now have an official standard (SADCSTAN/TC1 SC5-001 SAZ724 Standard Code of Practice for Rammed Earth Structures ) for the SADC region that is meant to be published in each member state by each of its various standards bodies.
>
> Unfortunately despite heavy lobbying by interested people, our standards board – SABS – representing South Africa did not vote in favour of the code and are now refusing to publish the standard locally. As such I have started a process to try and get them to rethink their position.
>
> As part of the detailed motivation form that I have to fill out as the official route to get them to look at adopting a standard, I am being asked:
>
> QUESTION 1: What other (earth) building codes, regional or national or international – that include rammed earth – besides our Zimbabwe rammed earth building code are there?
> So far I know of:
> - the New Zealand Earth building codes (NZS4297-1998, NZS4298-1998, & NZS4299-1998,  )
> - the USA Tucson Pima County earth building code  (1997 Uniform Administrative Code Amendment for Earthen Material and Straw Bale Structures)
>   Tucson/Pima County, Arizona "APPENDIX CHAPTER 71 - EARTHEN MATERIAL STRUCTURES”)
> - the German earth building codes: National Material Code for Prefabricated Earth Products DIN 18945 till -47 (blocks, masonry mortar, plaster)
>
> (I still need to investigate and contact Craterre-EAG in this regard and perhaps UNESCO)
>
> QUESTION 2: What international or foreign national technical committee’s working in this field are there?

Earth Building Standards

Standards New Zealand Committee BD/083 is currently revising the three earth buildings standards. (Engineering, Materials and Workmanship, and Deemed to Comply)
Currently they cover mud brick, pressed earth brick, and rammed earth with a nod to poured earth, cob, earth plasters and earth floors.
They will now fully cover mud brick/adobe, cob, rammed earth, pressed earth brick, poured earth, internal earth brick veneers, earth floors and earth plasters.
The range of densities of earthen materials they will now include will be between 800 and 2000 kg/cub.m, with walls between 280 and 500mm thick