[GSBN] New Mexico frost depth

Derek Stearns Roff derek at unm.edu
Tue Mar 11 17:58:44 UTC 2014

Santa Fe has one of the greater margins of safety between the code mandated frost depth and the actual frost depth.  According to the report linked below, from the New Mexico State University (NMSU) Climate Center, "In Santa Fe NM the plumbing code requires water lines be buried from 36 to 42 inches which is 21-27 inches below the frost depth."  The standard frost depth maps say that Santa Fe should have a frost depth of 12", but these maps don't put much attention on elevation variations.  As can be calculated from the quote above, NMSU considers 15" to be the actual frost depth for Santa Fe.  Santa Fe County has an elevation variation from a bit over 5,000 feet to near 12,000 feet.  The codes tend to be enforced fairly strictly, and without much attention to local factors.  If the house will be outside of Santa Fe county, there may be more flexibility.

The climate is dry enough that many moisture concerns are diminished or absent.  Rubble trench foundations are fairly common among the alternative builders.  Local soils are frequently sandy and drain easily.  Clay deposits are also frequent, and the clay tends to be low to moderately expansive.

http://gcconsortium.com/nl-climate-spring-08_vg_comments.pdf

Feel free to contact me off-list, Tina.  I live about 30 kilometers south of Santa Fe.

Derek

Derek Roff
derek at unm.edu