[GSBN] The first SB building patent in the world.

martin hammer mfhammer at pacbell.net
Mon Jan 6 21:23:57 UTC 2014

Hello Luc and all,

Attached is an article from a 1998 issue of The Last Straw that David
Eisenberg (thanks David) sent me in 2012.  It describes and contains an
illustration from a much earlier US patent for straw bale building submitted
by Josiah M. Leeds (of Indiana, not Nebraska) in 1880.

The article describes and contains illustrations of three subsequent straw
bale building patents (1885, 1903, and 1905), including the straw bale vault
design that Bob Theis mentioned.

So as much as I love Emil Feuillettes system of building with straw bales,
as well as the magnificent two story building he built in France that was
recently saved for future generations (a real triumph!), his patent is not
the first, but appears to be the fifth.  But it's all good!

And Happy New Year to all!

Martin