[GSBN] The EU wants 5% strawbuildings by 2020 says the Economist..

John Glassford jacksflat at gmail.com
Sat Dec 21 21:32:00 UTC 2013

Morning Balers

Great to see my skillful twin brother is as active as ever, thought you
Northerners went into hibernation about now.

Interesting posts one and all and I am not cranky just frustrated which
leads to anger which leads to get even.  Not cranky with any of you on this
list.  I got even crankier yesterday traveling from Ganmain to Sydney.

We left the South of New South Wales in the morning and go to the Blue
Mountains late afternoon.  We live in the Riverina of NSW in the middle of
a large wheat growing belt.  Australia is the world's third largest
exporter of wheat at around 23 million tonnes this year.  That means at
least 23 million tonnes of wheat straw.  If 1 million tonnes of straw can
build 44,000 three bedroom homes imagine how many homes 23 million tonnes
of straw can build annually.  We should be exporting straw panels!!!!!

The figures vary from farmer to farmer but even at half a tonne of straw to
one tonne of grain that is still a massive amount of straw.

Yesterday we drove for miles and miles through harvested wheat crops on the
way up here to Sydney and all I could say was what a WASTE of a resource.
 I know most of the stubble will be burnt around us in April/May causing
severe respiratory problems in older people and young children.  There was
an enormous amount of stubble on both sides of the road for 200 miles or
so.  If we had driven further inland it would have been many many more
miles of wheat stubble.

NSW is bigger than Texas so are most of our States!  The wheat crops in
Western Australia are huge.

So for us down under or should that be on top of the world as we see it,
straw is a waste by-product of the cereal industry and it is a big
industry.  What we need is for straw to become acceptable to main stream
builders and architects and to be used in all government building projects.
 However our new conservative government do not believe that global warming
is a fact and they are going to repeal the carbon tax as well.

So how do I stop being angry at seeing such waste?  Don't know but if we
make straw worth baling for the cockies and worth building with by the
professionals then we have a good start.  Modcell and all the other SIPs
being developed is one way and our SITUPS will also help garner main stream
acceptance.

Anyhow have a Merry Christmas and a super year baling in 2014.

We have some exciting prospects for the
SITUPS<http://glassford.com.au/main/sit-up-example/>in 2014.

Merry Christmas
The Straw Wolf