[GSBN] Inward Vapor Drive

John Swearingen jswearingen at skillful-means.com
Tue May 28 17:06:17 UTC 2013

I'm wondering how a significant amount of moisture could be driven to the
interior in a single event--rain followed by sun.  The amount of vapor
would be limited; a good deal of the moisture would dry to the outside, and
the amount driven in a single event would be not be more than that
contained in a plaster layer less what dries to the exterior.  It appears
you're assuming that the majority of moisture will be pumped to the inside,
and I'm not sure how this assumption is arrived at.

The only conditions that we've encountered with inward vapor drive are in
San Francisco, during the summer, when there is frequent (daily) morning
fog, followed by afternoon sun. We've seen south faces of building were the
nails of siding have worked loose because of the daily expansion and
contraction of the siding around the nail, but haven't seen moisture
effects--this is a mild climate.  This only occurs because it's a
*daily*phenomenon.

John "Fog In, Fog Out" Swearingen

John Swearingen
Skillful Means Design & Construction