[GSBN] 7story SB buildings in France

Bob Theis bob at bobtheis.net
Thu May 16 21:29:16 UTC 2013

Hi Martin,

I can't answer your last two questions, but the structure is Cross Laminated Timber panels  ( CLT ) and it is the Hot New Thing for commercial mid rise construction .The strength of concrete with just 16 % of the weight.

First time I saw pictures,  my thought was " Egad, that's a lot of wood! " but I'm warming to it.

I asked the closest rep, an engineer with StructurLam, what sort of shear a vertical panel of CLT is good for, and he told me their SLT3 panel ( 99 mm, or 3.2" thick ) can take up to 6000 lbs/lf.

So now I'm looking at using CLT for the floor and bearing + shear elements of a current project of four little 2 story row houses in SB  in Oakland. Put up the kit, and then wrap it in bales.

No, they're not paying me to shill for them.

Bob