[GSBN] Modeling or measuring mass effect of interior plaster

forum at lamaisonenpaille.com forum at lamaisonenpaille.com
Tue May 14 15:38:16 UTC 2013

Finally 'found' the time to read all your great mails on this 'massive'
subject written in the usual 'light' GSBN manner and would like to share
a few things that came to mind.

I find this a subject that is simple and complex (to calculate) at the
same time. So I too use the 'intuative observation' approach (by lack of
being able to tap my brain intto Luc's).

Laura's question : what we might lose in having wood rather than exposed
plaster.

My gut-response is that if you perfectly master/regulate the amount of
calories to enter and leave your building according to the desired
confort you would not need any mass. But this regulation of calories is
complicated (and that always seems to mean expensive) so adding mass
(plaster 'protected' by insulation) allows us to store the excess heat
or cold and let it flow back when usefull. Ofcourse, plastering also has
its cost (and drying time). The question is probably which of the 2
solutions is the cheapest way to go; but one cannot, as we say in France
: "have the butter and the money" (for selling the butter).

The only SB house with an over-heating problem I visited was one with a
too big window on the west (north hemisphere ;-) and just one layer of
gypsum board over the straw (so no thick plaster to absorb the excess
incoming heat). The choice to apply so little mass on the SB walls, to
keep the costs down, was finaly 'somewhat regretted' by the owners...

An other question came up : can we have too much mass?
I'd say : easily!!!!!  I'ts exactly what happens in a swimming pool for
instance. The the skinny 4 year olds like it 'not to cold' when taking
their first swimming lessons. The floating grandma's like it a bit
warmer. And so do the babys that come next with the happy new parents...
No problémo... We just put on the mega heaters and heat up that water
during the day. But then come the waterpolo guys and girls going in for
some serious excersise... and (speaking from experience) I can tell you,
water has a lot of mass and opening all the doors and windows does not
change a thing. It will take a loooooong while 'til that water cools
down... Same goes for a building with a lot of mass. They take a long
time to adapt (to changing needs).

A third question we could ask : "what would be optimum mass?" was asked
to Earth-shiped Mickeal Reynolds during a conference in Santa Fé. I
understood he answered that an equivalent volume of mass (earth)
connected to the space to be 'conditioned' (+ an insulation preventing
the mass to be to exposed to the rest of the Universe) is what worked
best for them.
But, not everybody likes the idea of pushing a hill against the shaded
side of the house... and, like the point I try to make with the pool
scénario, "constant temperature" does not nescecarily equal "comfort".

I don't remember where I read that heat at 'a normal temperature' will
not penetrate more then 7cm/3" of earth (as if I would use any other
plaster ;-) during a day.
Applying the golden 80:20 rule I believe that 5cm/2" is a practical (not
to complicated/expensive) and very effective tempering diurnal swing.
Having lived 10 years in an earth plastered SB house, with a masonry
heater, in a mild climate close to Bordeaux I also 'feel' this is true,
in all 4 seasons.
If someone would want to use less mass, I'd like them to show me how
they intend to master the flow of calories entering and leaving the
building better than I did; wich, I admit, is very much possible.

André - swimming in thoughts- de Bouter
France
www.lamaisonenpaille.com

> *My reference for calculations has been from Dan Chiras's book, The
> Solar House. Around pages 100 to 106*, Dan offers information around
> relationships of types of thermal mass, with good ratios to use for
> number crunching. I've been referring to these ratios for years, and
> every home that we've designed and built since then, has worked quite
> well for our region-specific designs. And I think you are correct to
> consider the direct vs. indirect gain on these wall surface areas.
> I've used Dan's ratios, and fudged them a bit, for lit and unlit areas.
> Dan refers to ratios of glass-to-mass areas, and specifies using the
> ratios of 1:5.5 for sunlit floor areas, and 1:40 for unlit floor areas.
> He specifies 1:8.3 for unlit wall areas, and I've used 1:6 for sunlit
> wall areas.  That ratio of 1:6 is from my own imagination, so don't
> blame Dan for that. Blame my "intuitive approach" to engineering.
> After observing the various passive-solar homes that we've built over
> the years, the numbers seem to work.

Sometimes single-level homes with a collector slab will, at night, tend
to stratify.  The efficiency of heat transfer can be improved by just a
slight level change to drive the convection loop. Even one step between
the bedrooms and living area is enough to make a significant increase in
air circulation during the night.

  In cooling conditions moisture in the wall will change from gas to
water, releasing considerable heat per unit of water (more than five
times that needed to heat the same quantity of water from 0 to 100°C),
whereas in warming conditions the reverse occurs. In other words, a
breathable earthen wall will have more temperature moderating effect
than one which was sealed against passage of moisture. The magnitude of
this effect would be a function of several variables, but I can imagine
conditions in which it could be significant. Note that this apart from
the moderating effect on room humidity, which would also have an effect
on perceived temperature.

Earth ship

André :
5-7 cm
1st strategy ; regulate the incoming heat (and outgoing heat).
If that is perfect (corresponds with the need/comfort needed, no mass
would be just fine.
If that 'regulation' is 'imperfect' mass allows us to absorb the

Stone wall