[GSBN] A Climate Ride Challenge for Straw Building from David Arkin

Paul Olivier paul.olivier at esrla.com
Sun May 12 22:22:21 UTC 2013

See comments below.

On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 4:10 AM, David Arkin <david at arkintilt.com> wrote:

> Dear Colleagues, Friends and Straw Bale Enthusiasts Worldwide:
>
> In one week I'll be riding my bicycle 320 miles—from Eureka to San
> Francisco—on the Climate Ride.
>
> This past Friday, for the first time in millions of year, over 400 parts
> per million of carbon dioxide were recorded in our atmosphere.  As many of
> you know, 350 ppm is the widely recognized sustainable maximum.
>
> If the agricultural crop residues grown each year in the US were
> sequestered, they'd get us over 1/4 closer to achieving a sustainable level
> of carbon.

Another way of  sequestering the carbon contained in straw is to gasify it,
and to let syngas replace fossil fuel gas.
The biochar from this process can be incorporated into the soil, and it
stays there for thousands of years.
Please see:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22013094/Paper/Presentations/Gasification.ppsx
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22013094/Paper/Summaries/Food%20Crisis.pdf