[GSBN] Fwd: Modeling or measuring mass effect of interior plaster

John Swearingen jswearingen at skillful-means.com
Sun May 12 03:25:29 UTC 2013

Martin Holladay, as if he were listening to our discussion, just published
an excellent summary "All About Thermal Mass"
<http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/blogs/dept/musings/all-about-thermal-mass?utm_source=email&utm_medium=eletter&utm_content=gba_eletter&utm_campaign=green-building-advisor-eletter>
at
Green Building Advisor.com, with references to several studies that have
been done.

Most of this has been covered in this discussion.  One thing he makes
explicit is that mass is most effective in lowering energy usage when the
diurnal temperature swing is above and below the indoor temperature (ie:
warm days, cool nights).  He also points out that mass is most effective in
reducing energy usage in cooling environments because the thermal lag will
shift air conditioning usage to the cool night hours, when air conditioners
are more efficient.

It's a good read.