[GSBN] Colombage in Haiti (was Modeling or measuring mass effect of interior plaster)

Van Krieken vankrieken at gmail.com
Wed May 8 21:42:17 UTC 2013

Thank you Martin, for this valuable information. I  am very much focus on
this colombage & Insulation building methods, for several reasons, like
price, building speed and architectural art potential.

Mainly, I am interested on self sustainable projects for rural areas, where
a house can be made in 2 or 3 weeks, at a cost bettwen 20 and 30.000 euros.
And -- very important -- easy to expand, acording to the needs and
possibilities of the familly. Just like "before"...

Pick any beautiful designs like Gingerbread Houses, with the colombage
system, and just apply the ETICS (External Thermal  Insulation Composite
Systems), like cork, fibre wood (or, why not, strawbale)... and I believe
we have the right solution for fast and confortable building.

I attach one of our small projects for a farmhouse (36m2), with 1 and 1/2
floor (mezanine, 36 m2 more) that I am doing at the moment. On the walls we
use a kind of colombage, but OSB on the outside (I wonder if we should just
use the diagonal framing instead of OSB!...), then cork (10 to 20 cm), then
lime render. Inside, we use lime or clay, depending on the regions.

Thank you for the report on Haiti and for sharing this information.

All the best

Jorge Van Krieken
Portugal