[GSBN] Modeling or measuring mass effect of interior plaster

John Swearingen jswearingen at skillful-means.com
Wed May 8 00:38:03 UTC 2013

Ah, very interesting and good to have numbers and graphs showing the secret
life of bales (they're not at night!).  There's another, related,
phenomenon that goes on, difficult to measure, in walls that take afternoon
sun.  The plaster absorbs lots of heat, which is retarded from moving
further into the building envelope by all that straw.  When the sun goes
down and the stars come out, the direction of heat flow from the plaster
skin is reversed, and the previously retarded Btu's flow freely into the
night sky.  In other words, some portion of radiant heat never really
enters the building envelope.

John "Night Skywalker" Swearingen