[GSBN] Anyone ever try a cob/straw-clay hybrid?

Chris Magwood chris at endeavourcentre.org
Mon Apr 29 17:07:35 UTC 2013

My concern would be drying for the straw/clay. We have a hard time
getting straw/clay to dry in our warm but humid summer. We count on a
week per inch of wall thickness, and that's with both sides of the wall
exposed. Sometimes we have to help things along with a fan on the
interior because the drying is slower in the still air. With one side of
the straw/clay up against cob (which may still be drying itself?) I
would worry about the straw/clay not drying out at all before it starts
to get mushy in there.

What about double wythe cob with a dry insulation in between?

Chris

On 13-04-29 11:38 AM, Bruce King wrote:

> A client in North Carolina (mixed climate, no earthquakes) wants to
> build a large assembly structure on load-bearing cob, which doesn't
> insulate too well.  He doesn't want to use bales with thick earthen
> plaster, either.
>
> So our idea was to build a wall that would look like this, from inside
> to out:
>
> 14" -- 18" of load-bearing cob
> 8" -- 12" of light straw-clay
> lime plaster
>
> Has anyone already done this, or heard of it?  Any reports of comments?
>
> Thank you!
>
> Bruce King
>
> (415) 987-7271
> Skype: brucekingokok