[GSBN] [nbne] Earth plaster and Cellulose

Jacob Deva Racusin buildnatural at googlemail.com
Mon Apr 29 03:36:50 UTC 2013

Thanks for your feedback Ian, nice to get your perspective.  Fortunately
in this to case there is no push for a vapor barrier from the architect
- a battle I've had to fight many times.  We follow a very similar
protocol to yours involving lime wash, and are explicit in describing
the function to clients as not only a sacrificial layer to protect
erosion of the plaster, but a 'sealant' of sorts that reduces moisture
absorption into the plaster while maintaining high vapor permeability.

This structure is a multi-occupant commercial building (cabin/lodge) at
an institution, and a low-maintenance finish is a strong priority.
This, coupled with the architect's unfamiliarity and general discomfort
with the principles of plastered wall assemblies (not aesthetic, but
plaster coupled to the interior of the assembly), directed the project
towards cladding.  Ah well...

On a related note, I have a good friend in colleague in Halifax (Kim,
maybe you know her, Annie Murphy?)  who has told me that they have all
but entirely moved towards wood cladding over their SB buildings because
the climatic pressures are too much for plaster when 'deferred
maintenance' is a reality, it's interesting to hear how different
regions approach the finishing of the same wall assembly - I appreciate
that there are climate-responsive vernacular traditions emerging.

Cheers,
Jacob

Jacob Deva Racusin
New Frameworks Natural Building, LLC