[GSBN] [nbne] Earth plaster and Cellulose

Derek Stearns Roff derek at unm.edu
Fri Apr 26 21:55:07 UTC 2013

If it is of interest, the Green Building Advisor has a few articles on this question.  Perhaps the most specific is "When Sunshine Drives Moisture Into Walls" http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/blogs/dept/musings/when-sunshine-drives-moisture-walls.

It contains the quote below, and insists that the third point, the interior vapor barrier, is a critical part of the problem.  Without the vapor barrier, the author says, the problem is very unlikely.  Air conditioning is also described as an essential part of the problem.  I'm guessing that in the location (mid-Atlantic) of this project, air conditioning might be part of the plan, but if not, this further decreases concern with solar vapor drive.  ("Solar vapor drive" sounds like what I wish my car would run on.)

Derelict

Inward solar vapor drive problems require four elements
The phenomenon that destroyed Zaring’s walls came to be known as inward solar vapor drive. The classic disaster requires four elements:

  *   A “reservoir” cladding — that is, siding that can hold significant amounts of water;
  *   Permeable wall sheathing like Celotex or Homosote;
  *   A polyethylene vapor barrier on the interior of the wall; and
  *   An air-conditioned interior.