[GSBN] Earth plaster and Cellulose

kim thompson shipharbour at ns.sympatico.ca
Fri Apr 26 04:50:59 UTC 2013

Hello all,

I have had a note in progress for GSBN'ers for weeks to ask a question related to Jacob's.
A building I am currently involved with was built in 1764. We recently moved the 2.5 storey home
nearly 5 km through central Halifax to a lot where it will be rehabilitated and used for affordable housing for youth.

The Morris House has become an interesting demo of how we can make heritage buildings more energy efficient (and
keep them out of the land fill). It has a number of unusual (for Halifax) features including solid brick nogging which fills the cavities in the
first and half way up the second floor levels of the Georgian timber frame. There has been considerable discussion amoung committee members
involved with the Project about whether or not to fill in the currently uninsulated wall sections, and if so with what. Heritage folks want to employ
minimal intervention strategies and add nothing - they are concerned that introducing insulation will bring with it moisture which will
compromise the timber frame.

I have proposed a few options and would so appreciate thoughts from this group on the building science side of things for
our northern maritime climate. Thermal comfort (cold walls especially) will be important to the young people living there, as will be
heating costs... construction materials and systems on this project will certainly be cited as recommendations for future heritage rehabs.

So my question is  what might be the pros and cons of insulating the currently empty wall cavities above the nogging with one of the following:
(a) dense pack cellulose (b) light straw clay (c) hempcrete  (d) reuse of brick from the chimneys of the Morris. (e) blown in or batt wool  (f) aerogel.
Assuming any one of these would be installed with great care to avoid air leakage.
Exterior cladding is painted cedar shake, interior is lime plaster/lathe, no vapourbarriers and removal of  the nogging is not an option.
Are there other choices apart from providing "extra sweaters"  for the tenants that would not compromise of the structure.

Am hoping that John S. in particular might chime in on this.

Thank you all!

Kim Thompson
www.themorrisproject.ca