[GSBN] Fwd: Re: Looking for science guy help

ejgeorge at riseup.net ejgeorge at riseup.net
Thu Apr 25 17:36:33 UTC 2013

Robert forwarded a more detailed reply particularly useful to baffled
Americans ;)

----- Forwarded message from housewright at ponds-edge.net -----
     Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 08:08:24 -0700 (PDT)
     From: Robert Riversong <housewright at ponds-edge.net>
  Subject: Re: [GSBN] Looking for science guy help
       To: Chris Magwood <chris at endeavourcentre.org>
       Cc: ejgeorge at riseup.net

Chris,

I'm still just a lurker on GSBN, so this is going back to just you (and ej):

Those crazy Europeans use a comma when we Americans all know it should
be a decimal point ;-) so 0,19 is really 0.19.

And W/(m2?°C), which is more typically written W/m²K, for watts per
square meter per degree Kelvin delta-T (which, even though Kelvin is
an absolute zero scale, computes to the same delta-T as the Celsius
scale), is U-value (conductance, as differentiated from conductivity),
which is expressed in the American (imperial) tradition as
BTU/sf·hr·°F, or Btu's per square foot per hour per degree Fahrenheit
delta-T.

To convert from standard international (SI) to imperial, multiply the
SI U-value by 0.17611.
Thus U-0,19 equals U-0.033. And, since R-value is merely 1/U, then
U-0.033 is R-30.3 here in America.

To convert SI R-value (m,²K/W) to Imperial R-value (sf·hr·°F/BTU),
multiply by 5.6783.

- Robert