[GSBN] straw/cell assembly

Lance Kairl sabale at bigpond.com
Thu Apr 11 09:13:43 UTC 2013

Hi ej,
I have no problem with the basis of the system, and agree there advantages,
like a lock up building and all bale work been done inside a weather tight
building.
I tend to like the seal of Ply or OSB sheeting on the inside of the frame.
As it provides for a better seal, for vermin and acts as fire blocking.
Also gives a dedicated cavity for plumbing or electrical....complete with
bulk insulation.

We also ply / OSB the section of ceiling above the wall, again to provide a
good seal, but also to allow ceilings to be installed prior to rendering
being completed, or even commenced.
This helps contract scheduling of other trades.

We have also halved bales ( chainsaw cut between the strings) a one string
bales is delicate to move,
And this usually only adds to the time of construction, but does reduce the
wall thickness a little, ( and reduce the walls R (U) value.

All in all you are on to a viable option, may not be to everyone's aesthetic
in regards to having a cladding on the exterior of a straw bale house.

Ps we are teaming this system with light weight internal
render.....vermiculite and gypsum plaster,
Or if you wish to, recycle polystyrene that also works.

Regards Lance Kairl
www.houseofbales.com.au