[GSBN] Wall Heights - Larger & Multi-storey Straw Bale buildings

Derek Stearns Roff derek at unm.edu
Mon Apr 8 01:25:36 UTC 2013

I'm not sure where the 6:1 height to width ratio came from, and I protest it whenever I see it.  While some experienced SB leaders and advocates believe in this figure, others do not.  We have laboratory testing, historical examples, and post-1990 loadbearing buildings which exceed this ratio, often by a significant margin.  All of these give me confidence that we can safely build strawbale walls with higher ratios.  Of course, buildings in seismic areas require greater safety margins.  On the other hand, infill designs should be less critical than loadbearing.

Derek