[GSBN] Can bale buildings be air tight?

Frank Tettemer frank at livingsol.com
Thu Mar 28 07:27:49 UTC 2013

ej George,
thanks for persisting on that topic.  I failed to respond, with my own
data, shortly after Chris announced his 0.99 achievement.
That really says it all, so what more was there to say? Yes, SB can very
very airtight, and Chris, you're the guy to do it.

But since you are still interested in collecting data, I'll offer the
results of the one and only SB house in our area that actually was
tested. It is in Renfrew County, just East of Algonquin Park, Ontario,
Canada.
This house was built for Skye Faris, and completed in 2003. Since I was
a confirmed straw bale skeptic at that time, I probably "overbuilt" it
to the max, as I just didn't want to create a Bad Thing.
So Details were God, and we prayed daily to that ruler, while on the
job, and it's been a warm and cozy house ever since.

In 2009, there was a series of blower door test done in our area, around
retrofit grants, and I asked the fellow if he'd ever tested a straw bale
structure before. He said No. But, he was so eager to see the results,
that he did the test for free, that very afternoon.
Her story and a half house of 1050 sq. ft, using all "orphan" windows
from salvage, tested in at 3.3 ACH.
Considering the saggy vinyl windows that were used in the place, (for
economy reasons) it seemed like a very good out come.

Hope that adds to your statistical review.

--
Frank Tettemer
Living Sol ~ Building and Design

A much delayed response on the airtightness topic, but one that helps
answer Derek's pondering of how often a custom home hits 3.15 or better
(at least custom straw bale homes in the Northeast US). Aaron is
presenting at a "Low Energy Homes" Symposium next weekend, and was
looking for similar information so I went through some straw bale blower
  door test results gathered  by various members (Jay Walsh, Jacob Deva
Rascusin, and myself) of NBNE over the last 7 or so years and compared
groups of data over time. I did discard numbers for a couple of
structures that had major gaps at testing making their results of little
  value (one hadn't covered the opening of an uninstalled window, and one
  was an owner built home with numerous and volumnious unfinished
details).

The first blower door test I'm aware of in the Northeast US was in
2005. There are some older straw bale houses included (built between
1995-2005) but these were all tested well after construction (sometime
in the late 2000's).

Homes built 1995-2006 (6 total), had an average ACH50 of 6.12

As far as I'm aware, these were all single blower door tests, most
done well after completion. I believe all but one met US Energy Star
rating for the time (<.5 ACHnat).

Homes built 2006-2007 (8 total), had an average ACH50 of 4.71

Most of these were single tests again, but now done near or at
completion. There was a growing awareness of the importance of
air-sealing by this time and various methods attempted to mitigate
obvious leakage areas. Many of these homes may have had additional air
sealing done after their test, but other than one built in PA by a home
performance company (Envinity) I don't know if any did a second test
(Envinity's final result was 3.32). I believe all of these homes met the
  US Energy Star rating.

Homes built 2008-2009 (6 total), had an average ACH50 of 3.91

Again most were single tests done at/near completion. The tightest
was a load-bearing home built by Ben Simpson with an ACH50 of 2.0.

Homes built 2010-2011 (3 total), had an average ACH50 of 3.24

Still mostly single tests done near/at completion. Of interest, a
GreenBuildingAdvisor article written in 2010 quoted: "ACH50 of 5 to 6 is
  considered tight", which I guess makes these homes "very tight" though
not quite "super tight" like Passive House or Canadian R-2000
requirements.

And that brings us to 2012-2013. The only two houses I have data on
so far is yours (3.15) and Aaron's latest (2.27). Which continues the
downward trend to an average of 2.71 ACH50. Aaron did not bother to do a
  final test, but you said you got .99 on your second. Curious to hear
your final numbers. I'm also cc'ing to the NBNE list since I'm sure more
  of them have numbers from last year to share and I know some of the
Vermonters have been gunning for PH too...

All for now,

ej

ej George, CSBA

Tugley Wood Timberframing

6301 Searsburg Road

Trumansburg, NY 14886

tugleywood.com

Quoting Derek Roff<derek at unm.edu>:

Congratulations,
  Chris!  This is an excellent result, and very useful data on the
performance potential of a well-detailed strawbale building.  Keep us
posted on what changes you come up with, to decrease the variability in
your air sealing details.

In your blog, in reference to your initial 3.15 ACH50 test result on
  this building, you say, "We had drawn careful details at the planning
stage and spent a lot of time and energy on site making sure those
details were well executed, and still didn't get a great first result."
  I'm thinking that 3.15 ACH50, too, is a great result for the first test
  of a custom built home.  I don't really know what the average result is
  for the first blower door test on a home, but the case studies of
high-performance homes that I have read tell a story similar to yours-
the first test shows more leakage than hoped, through problem areas that
  have to be corrected.  I wonder if John or Bruce or anyone else could
venture an opinion on what percentage of the time a custom builder hits
3.15 ACH50 or better on the first test of a new home.  There certainly
aren't many who can hit .99 ACH50 on the second test.

Best wishes,

Derek

Derek Roff
derek at unm.edu