[GSBN] The mechanical ventilation debate

John Swearingen jswearingen at skillful-means.com
Sat Mar 23 18:50:35 UTC 2013

I guess I'll add my quarter to the meter.  I've also enjoyed this
conversation, and it has challenged my own prejudices which stem from my
origins as a fresh-air-hippy-carpenter who grew up in the mild coastal
climate of California, and whose family doctor always said to leave the
bedroom window open. We did that and survived, so that proves it was the
right thing.

We all have to get our oxygen fix, and we also want to live without wearing
a whole lot of clothes all the time. This discussion is about how to get
our oxygen--comfortably. It should be noted, to establish a base line, that
in regions such as Tibet, where people live in tents in the snow, everyone
bundles up, and the rich have lap dogs as heaters. Often the roof is open
to the sky, and if rain or snow is coming in, they move to the other side
of the room.  We don't need to confine ourselves to temperature swings of
one or two degrees, and it's worth encouraging people to step out of the
zone as much as possible (and can also save energy)-- it's healthy to
"endure" larger swings than most mechanical systems allow.  I can imagine a
more sophisticated set-back thermostat that cools down a building
incrementally at night, and then warms it gradually in the morning.

Personally, I have another reason to open windows, which is to hear and
smell what's outside, and to feel, at least a little, the breeze outside.
 I guess that depends on where you live, but I will say that I did keep a
window open when I was living in Sweden. Ok, that's a personal choice, and
not necessarily an energy efficient one, but it was endorsed by my doctor.

Beyond that, I don't have much intelligent to add to this, or any further
metaphors, such as "membranes" or "sailboats".  I am becoming more
accepting of HRV's since living in the midst of wildfires huddled up to an
air purifier, but I still have trouble getting enthusiastic about
mechanical ventilators--they sound like something for people in a coma.
Perhaps I reflect prevalent attitudes--most people think an HRV is
something made by Honda.

I was interested in John's experience in the Bay Area. I guess John had not
heard Mark Twain's famous quip: *"The coldest winter I ever spent was
summer in San Francisco."  *

*On my California sabbatical I lived in a rented house in Oakland.
>  Victoria (my partner, born and raised in Edmonton) and I both declared
> this the coldest winter either of us had ever experienced in our 40 years,
> even though the temperature never reached freezing once. It cost me twice
> as much energy as I was paying for my large**r house back home in Ontario
> during the same period.  Was it healthier?  Hell no!  We had mold growing
> under our futon, air leaked in from the mouldy crawlspace, we had to dust
> all the time because the leaking air brought in dust (which is a real IAQ
> issue).*

Funny, I've lived in this area all my life and have* never* had mold
growing under my futon!  Perhaps this has less to do with leaky, squeaky
floorboards than, well....may I suggest it could have been because les
Canadiens were experiencing particularly steamy nights?  We must always be
careful to understand when conditions are the result of occupant behavior,
after all....

John

John Swearingen
Skillful Means Design & Construction