[GSBN] The Mechanical Ventilation Debate

Oasis Design oasis at oasisdesign.net
Fri Mar 22 17:48:40 UTC 2013

Art's $0.02:

I've realized that all of ecological systems design can be boiled down
to one sentence:
/

/
/"Do what makes sense in the context"/

Taking in the full sweep of this fascinating discussion, there are a
wide menu of possible solutions to the design question of how to control
indoor climate, ranging from "let go of the idea of control" to passive,
all natural materials solutions, to tight buildings with mechanized
ventilation, to the space station...and that's just along the "level of
technology" axis.

Does anyone on this list actually think that any of these options should
just be struck from the list completely? From my view, nothing mentioned
was so wrong that it would not be optimal *somewhere,* and nothing was
so right that it could fully replace any of the other options mentioned.

While parts of the discussion sounded like this or that solution was
being questioned in absolute terms--"is this a valid approach?" I think
it might be helpful to explicitly frame this sort of discussion in terms
of improving our algorithms for matching solution with context--"in what
context is this approach indicated?" This was alluded to by one poster
who said that he sees people from one context questioning a solution
that's valid in another, but not so much in theirs, without seeming to
clearly grasp how different they might feel, for instance,  about tight
houses if it were -50° outside. (There has also been a wealth of useful
detail-level stuff about things to think about if you are going with
this or that approach).

There's an underlying tension in the world of building between the
"Uniform Building Code" idea--one generic approach that works
everywhere, and context-sensitive design. Even though I generally feel
that the "Uniformity" idea is a single bottom line approach that has led
to a world of problems, I see how it lives on inside me in the way that
I personally am unconsciously inclined to apply the systems that I've
evolved for my Santa Barbara context everywhere. The idea of tight
buildings makes me nervous but I think I could warm to it. The
electricity required for ventilation thing really creeps me out. It's
just so alien to my design mind, which has been shaped by my
environment...I'm grateful to John and others for helping me able to
imagine contexts in which this would, in fact, often be the best solution.

Yours,

Art