[GSBN] The (not necessarily mechanical) ventilation debate

RT archilogic at yahoo.ca
Fri Mar 22 17:47:55 UTC 2013

  On Fri, 22 Mar 2013 "Feile Butler" wrote:

> I've been thinking about why has the mechanical ventilation debate been
> getting under everyone's skin so much.

I too received one of those off-list emails (last week ?) from the same
author but dismissed it as "noise" not unlike that which I and other
air-tighties have heard ad infinitum before, decades ago.

It's interesting then that those advocating the "other side of the debate"
on this list are quoting that off-list email (ie "impressions") rather
than providing any real strategies that can be verified as being viable
to, say, the average wise Grannie, who still lives in her
poorly-insulated/air-leaky house that she and her long-dead husband built
when they were young and now wishes that she didn't have to come up with
the means to acquire the 10-plus full cords (ie 1 full cord = 3 face cords
16" x 4' x 8') of firewood every winter which was a lot easier to do when
she could still move around without a cane.

That 10 cord/winter number is not one I pulled out of my hat. I suspect
that Frank Tettmer who is on this list probably knows a few living
off-grid in his neighbourhood .

As stated in my first message to this thread, I found it troubling that we
were only just now having this discussion on this List, a list whose
membership is limited to building and design professionals.

Why ? Because if we're still having this "debate" it means that many,many
professionals (ie not just some of the membership of this List) to whom
the responsibility of making houses has been entrusted by their paying
clients,  have been willfully making air-leaky, poorly ventilated SB
houses for  the almost-three decades of this current SB revival . That a
potentially large number of buildings and an even larger number of
affected occupants of those houses.

"Troubling" because the resultant problems don`t manifest themselves in
the dramatic fashion that some have suggested (ie "waking up dead some
morning because a ventilation gizmo failed during the night) or as the
sudden catastrophic structural failures that can and have occurred due to
poor engineering.

The destructive processes occur slowly, over the course of a decade or
more and people usually don't take notice until the sickness is
well-advanced.

One can easily draw a parallel to the "Cigarette smoking" debate.

Despite the reams of evidence backed up by common sense and science that
smoking is not a Good Thing, as late as the 90's of the previous
millennium, millions of teens still feeling the invincibility of youth
were still taking it up, much to the annoyance of those of us who had been
there, done that and learned to know better.

And trying to convince the build-it-tight/ventilate right "non-believers"
to quit leaking is just about as futile. They invariably find excuses to
ignore the evidence.

I saw a cigarette package on the roadside that someone had tossed out of a
passing car the other day.

The Canadian government requires that all cigarette packages have warnings
and photos showing the deleterious effects of smoking. Also, all
municipalities have enacted by-laws which prohibit smoking in all public
buildings and in some cases even in outdoor public spaces.  These days, if
you light up in a crowd of strangers, you're likely to be shat upon
whereas not all that long ago, even some medical doctors smoked.

It's not a stretch to suggest that the same thing may happen with
strawbale buildings simply because too many builders of strawbale
buildings choose to ignore the evidence that making air-leaky and poorly
ventilated well-insulated buildings is ill-advised.

Why is it not a stretch ?

Because it has already happened here, just across the river within
eyesight of my home, over in Gatineau Quebec where the strawbale movement
made some early inroads back in the previous millennium in the 80's and
90's.

Back in 2004-2005 the City Council of that community of 300,000-plus
proposed a by-law to prohibit the use of strawbale because of the numbers
of sick SB buildings (ie moisture problems) that had been been built by
those choosing to ignore the good building practise/building science that
had been available to them.

I'm pretty sure that no one here was suggesting that mechanical
ventilation was absolutely necessary.

What was being suggested was that well-insulated buildings need to be
constructed so that air-leakage via the thermal envelope is minimised, not
only for the health of the building but more importantly for the health of
those occupying the buildings.

And like it or not, the corollary to air-tight construction is that an
effective ventilation strategy must be provided to ensure the health of
the occupants.

That's not some notion that a human with a high pucker factor conjured up.
It's a reality created by the scenario.

As mentioned numerous times, how one chooses to provide that ventilation
is entirely up to you.

No one here is twisting your arm to install a mechanical ventilator, let
alone one with a heat recovery capacity exceeding the 90% (?) efficiency
that the PassivHaus religion specifies. (As mentioned, I'm not a fan of PH
and I'm pretty sure that if you kick WatJohn," PH "is more likely to
emerge as an expletive rather than as a term of endearment).

The corollary to not having heat recovery capacity on the exhaust air
stream with efficiencies in the 75-90-plus % range is that fuel must be
consumed to make up for that lack ... for the life of the building.  And
we all know that the life-cycle energy of a building far exceeds the
embodied-energy by many magnitudes.  Right ?

For Felie and others who heat entirely with wood (+ sunlight + occupancy
gains, as do I), you would be well-advised to ensure that your ventilation
strategy (mechanical or otherwise) addresses the potential issue of
combustion spillage or someone may very well get dead in the middle of the
night -- "dead" of the of the "no waking up from" variety) ... or worse.

--
=== * ===
Rob Tom					AOD257

< A r c h i L o g i c  at  Y a h o o  dot  c a  >
(manually winnow the chaff from my edress if you hit "reply")